Emergence: Mississauga Artists Rising
Emergence: Mississauga Artists Rising is a learning and mentorship program for emerging artists across the visual, literary and movement arts. Developed and hosted by the Art Gallery of Mississauga, Emergence will seek out and select 6 artists (through comprehensive outreach and engagement), bringing them together for education, peer and professional mentorship, and culminating in exhibition, publication and performance showcase opportunities. The emerging artists will be from communities that traditionally experience marginalization and barriers in accessing mainstream arts institutions and opportunities, including immigrant and refugee artists, 2SLGBTQ+ artists, racialized artists, young artists, and artists who have experienced poverty. In 2019, artists will participate in a learning mentorship program focused on honing artistic practices, financial and administrative management, diversity and equity in the arts, entrepreneurship, marketing and much more. Participants will also be matched up to mid-career and established artists in their discipline for mentoring.
CONGRATULATIONS, Mississauga Rising Artists include:
Tennille Dowers, Jassie Justice, Hamzah Amin, Howard Hamilton, Ricardo Hernandez, Qurat Dar and Khaula Mazhar
· Honorarium for participating
· Opportunity to connect with peers and build community
· Learning sessions on topics important for artists, including how to write artist statements, self-promotion, anti-oppression, revenue generation and entrepreneurship, and more!
· Opportunity to be matched up with a mentor
· Exhibition, performance or showcase, organized by the AGM
Please note that applications for the early 2019 Emergence program are now closed. Thank you for your interest!